Friday, June 21, 2013

DAY 21: The Fifteenth

Courtesy: polyvore.com

Today’s Prompt:
A gift is left on the back porch.
Courtesy: Writing.Com

Word Count: 1,415

                “The journal lay on the back porch, inside a heart-shaped enameled tin box. I could hear shrills from the kids in the house next-door, as they played whatever games kids played,” Etok (/hey toke/) said. “Besides that, there was no one else in sight as far as I could glimpse and my house was elevated at an angle so I could observe stretch after stretch of asphalt up and down Johnson Street. Nothing to suggest time of delivery, either. I bent over and plucked the box off the sanded wooden step, no label, no name of sender, and no courier company insignia—no FedEx, no DHL, no UPS not even the local EMS. A spiral-bound journal inside a heart-shaped tin box is all there was to it.”
                “Uh, ugh,” Atta (/hatter/) said. He wasn’t one for words and rarely let his emotion show.

                “From a different angle, I’d be coughing up a blatant lie if I said that was all because there was something else. I could take it for given but I know the role it played in setting the scene for this story. The pocket at the edge of the journal held a colored pencil with the word BIC inscribed across the barrel in glossy gold letters. I’d never known BIC for a pencil manufacturer. It was a pleasant surprise, indeed. I found the eraser inside the box.

                “Ray Bradbury once talked about how Forrest Ackerman took him out of high school and got him started on his writing career. Though, I’d been out of high school for a while at that time, it’s still true whoever sent me that package got me started on my writing career.
                “I had planned to hit the park for my people-watching exercise when I fell upon the unexpected gift. I decided I’d rather investigate the potential of the journal concealed in the box lying in my hands. Little did I know it would turn out to be a far more enriching experience than I’d bargained for. I took the box inside the house. It was April 15, my birthday but I stopped celebrating it way back in high school. My benefactor must possess a queer sense of humor, don’t you think?”
                “Probably.” Atta rearranged himself in his seat.

                “I set up my study in a room in my apartment, which should have served as the guest room under different circumstances. I stepped in, locked the door and sat at my writing desk. The first sensation that overwhelmed me the second time I opened the tin box was vertigo; a reeling sensation that came on so strong I had to lean back on my chair to keep myself from spilling over into my desk. I opened the journal, pulled out the pencil and started scribbling away. I saw a vision of the setting I was creating on the pages of my mystery journal with stunning clarity; it was like staring at a picture in a frame. I could smell the air, the heady bouquet of the woods, and above all, I knew it was really happening—everything in my story was going down right there and then. That’s weird, isn’t it?”
                “I know the feeling,” said Atta, nodding in slow motion. He bent forward and grabbed his half-full glass of ale, jiggled it softly as if he was trying to confirm to himself by the chink of the ice cubes that the liquid content was still in there.
                “The story was alive, Atta. I don’t mean on an emotional level. It felt like every word I scribbled respired.”
Atta said nothing only sipped on his glass of ale. Etok didn’t even know if he wanted him to say anything.
                “I sensed I was onto something but I couldn’t shake the feeling that whatever the thing was, it was also on to me. I think it’s more like it caught up with me and called me out, kind of. Do you understand this level of hocus pocus I’m feeding you, Atta?”
Atta grunted.

Etok figured that was going to have to do. All he’d wanted was a listening ear, something different than the walls of his room. He’d carried the burden within him for months not willing to speak out for fear people might think he’d gone off the bend and might ship him off to the institution. He’d called Atta up at his home and the two had agreed to meet on neutral ground. That’s where they were at; the bar around the corner.
The music poured into the room from speakers hidden behind a complex arrangement of grillwork. R&B played low-key besides that the place called The Joint was otherwise quiet. A suitable spot to open up one’s mind on deep issues like the mess Etok had dragged himself into.

                “I churned out several bestsellers—novels and short story collections alike—and I believed it wasn’t ever gonna stop. That was until I started having the crazy hallucinations.
First, was the revelation moment. The news reports couldn’t have been local or it would have raised a lot of eyebrows. I discovered news articles on the internet, though. They were sort of low profile jobs, something people may or may not notice. But it was the answer to the nagging sensations I often experienced during my writing frenzies. And when the first journal was filled up, I received a fresh supply deposited right there on the back porch same place I found the first one. The second appalling observation I made involved the BIC pencil. It didn’t shrink. My word count would run into hundreds of thousands sometimes and the lead in that writing implement would not fret.”
Atta shifted his gaze and looked straight into Etok’s eyes and a thought flared in Etok’s mind, he’s going to laugh me to scorn. He waited for me to come this far so he could really crack up. Atta did no such thing. He seemed to weigh his options like he was caught between making a comment or just letting Etok ride. He suspired.
                “Go on,” Atta said.
                “You wanna know what decided me eventually?
                “You know, I’m all ears.”
                “I read a story about a guy who’d lost everything; his wife, his kid, his job and finally his house was up. I looked up the date the incident happened and it coincided with the day I started writing my novel with a similar storyline. I didn’t what to make of this information and I couldn’t really tell anyone. I wasn’t afraid cause I knew I’d done nothing wrong…” Then he added. “Intentionally, I never knew all those people who died in my book were real people so I couldn’t care less. But it still bothers me a lot if I killed them or just knew they were going to choke and my muse made the best of it.”
                “Was that all.” Atta’s question took him by total surprise.
                “What?”
                “After you stopped writing, was that the end of the whole mess?”
                “It was for a while until three week ago that was when my birthday came around again. On the fifteenth, I stepped out of my house and there was another heart-shaped tin box lying on my back porch. It had all the quaintness of the first box it could have been its twin. When I opened it, I found not a journal but a complete manuscript. It was done in my hand writing although for the life of me I couldn’t remember penning the damn thing. There was a note written on a pad that said, ‘Happy Birthday!’ I burned the manuscript and got rid of the box.”
                “Then?”
                “I’ve been receiving…” Etok looked into Atta’s eyes and knew something was different about him. His mouth had grown wider, he couldn’t explain how. And then right there before his very eyes, Atta became somebody else. Atta became him. Etok was staring into his own eyes, the eyes of the second Etok who until then had been Atta. He saw the second Etok reaching with deadly talons for his gut and tried to scream. The scream caught in his throat and he choked on it and retched feverishly. He looked around to see if there was anybody in sight; anybody who saw what was happening and could get help to him but there was nobody else.

As the talons wrapped around his neck, a crazy joke tormented him, offed by a character from my own book, The Shape-Shifter.


Eneh Akpan
June 21, 2013


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment