Thursday, June 20, 2013

DAY 20: Xcalibur

Grainy B&W image of supposed UFO, Passoria, Ne...
Courtesy: Wikipedia

Today’s Prompt:
Write about the letter X.
Courtesy: Writing.Com

Word Count: 1,160

                Da’Wo (sounds like /da wo/), so nice of you to come by where I hang my hat. Sit down, kick off your shoes and I’ll fetch you a cool glass of milk while you’re at it. It’s a fine evening for a little chit-chat don’t you think?
                What? You want to watch some TV? Why not, go right ahead but I gatto tell you son, Junior done lost the remote and all of yonder buttons are badly in need of repairs. You only get to watch one TV channel and sometimes if not most of the time, they’re off the air. I think it’s cause their dick keep trespassing with their brains or something.

                You know I haven’t seen your mama since you was five. How is she with her bad self? Heard she remarried once but my ex was never the type to stay in a man’s house for a long-drawn-out period. I’m sorry to have to shove this crap in your ears but, your mama, my ex was a rolling stone who never laid down her hat. I don’t think she ever even had a hat.

                Since you got me started on exes why don’t I tell you a little story about the letter X? Boy, that letter has been a victim since the day God dropped it among the bunch of ‘em English alphabets. Take a good long look around and see for yourself.
                Seen a sign that reads CAUTION lately? What one letter spelled it out to you? My point exactly. The talons of discrimination stretch beyond the hood to schools. Every time you get an equation right, you get a V but when you forgot to cross your ts and dot the is you are sure you gonna get yourself nothing but a big slice of x.

                Let’s take a shot at the movies. First one on my mind is… The X Files, brilliant, you watched the series? Ain’t it all just about more bull than you can take in one lifetime? The only thing I took away from that heap of trash was that I had to be suspicious of everything with questionable origin. You never can tell it just might be UFO. But I didn’t have to buy what they were selling did I? But that was then and this is now. These days we got Professor Xavier and his X-Men—a bunch of societal rejects running around doing more harm than good—a Prof that bears a name beginning with the accursed letter who ends up with a bad case of dead; ripped to shreds  like a tight wad of paper blown to smithereens with dynamites by one of his own. I’ve never witnessed a sorrier sight in my entire life.

                Look up the street. I bet you seen them light poles on your way down to my crib. Did you see them signs warning against electrocution? Yeah, the ones with the skull and crossbones? Now, what letter of the alphabet does the pair of bones leaning over on each other remind you off? Ain’t no letter gives you the creeps like the letter x my pa used to say that a lot when he was around. I don’t know, but it looks like I kind of caught his fever. x is the symbol of the unknown. Ask any mathematics genius and he’ll let you in on it; why it’s an open secret. The horror writers even caught up on the deal. Peter Straub, ever heard of the dude? Straub wrote a book, a ghastly, hide-your-eye horror about a savage figure that commits violent crimes, and guess what Straub called his novel? Mr. X., that’s what. You can almost always presume that when a child’s got an x in his or her name, s/he would most probably come to a bad end. No, I’m not wishing evil on anybody’s kid. Look around you boy, there is enough evidence backed by data collected over time. This is no folklore setting I’m presenting to ya, this is the real deal.

                All the examples I’ve dealt out are ordinary enough, I guess you’d say, but not all instances of x are of the ordinary. I got my reasons for saying that… say you finished your milk. Looks like you could do better with another glass… what? You’re cool? Very well then, I had better get on with the damned story. And since it’s just you and me sitting here on the back porch of my house, I think I can spill my guts and tell all I want to.
                Hey Xanadu! How’s them old bones of yours? That car of yours still naughty? No? Damn, I knew that mechanic was a fluke. Poor baby’s still spitting oil. How’s the wife? Not yet back home from the hospital? Damn. Alright, I’ll come right over to the house after I’m done talking to my son.
Xanadu lives right up the road by the old sawmill. Sure you remember him, guy used to buy you hot buns every morning. He’s buried to his waist in drama. But it’ll be suicidal to walk up to a man and tell him hey buddy, I know where you reap your problems from. It’s your goddam name. You don’t wanna do that not if you wanna live to a ripe old age. Sometimes I’m tempted and that’s a lot coming from me, I’m tempted to ask Xanadu, i wonder if it wouldn’t make all the difference if you plucked the x out of your name. But I’ve never been able to bring myself around to do it. It’s like the champ who tried to tell Arthur Excalibur would be his ruin. Arthur had the class act hanged.

                What was that?
                Yeah, let’s get back to our story. Where was I? That’s it, the extraordinary realm of the x. If the sound of that letter don’t ring a bell every time I hear it. Boy, you ever read a Lovecraft story? Who is Lovecraft? You didn’t just ask that, did you? And you guys are supposed to be the educated generation and ya’ll ain’t know pip about Howard Phillips Lovecraft. That dude invented a grimoire, it’s called fictional in some quarters but we can argue about that till the Lord returns. You ever saw a real occult manual before, son? Well, after Lovecraft drafted his he put a mark right there on the front and you wanna what that mark.
                That’s the most intelligent thing you said all day, son. He had an artist carve a customized x symbol up front and center. You’ll hear a lot of folks going around till this day calling that thing, the occult symbol. That mark ain’t more occult than a customized x is. But I’ve heard it can do stuff, mean extraordinary stuff.
                Come on, son, let’s get inside and go bite a big chunk out of something. All that jive sure makes a man hungry.


Eneh Akpan
June 20, 2013


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment