Saturday, June 15, 2013

DAY 15: Final Descent

English: XBox 360 wired controller. Français :...
Courtesy: Wikipedia

Today’s Prompt:
You are 15 years old and, while still living with your parents, you discover a secret room in your house. It is filled with all sorts of strange things, but one thing in particular catches your eye. It’s a love letter to your mom from someone who isn’t your dad. What’s more peculiar is that it is dated five years into the future. Write a scene where you confront your mom about the letter.

Word Count: 1,321

                “It’s funny how when you’re searching for what’s really important you chance on something else not-so-important but all-too-significant to be ignored because it’s weird. And by that I’m saying way outrageous,” Imo (/he more/) said.
“Yeah,” his mother, Toro (as in /Zorro/) intoned. “It’s one of Fate’s secret recipes to guarantee we’re present for our next heart attack. And that wouldn't be possible without clogging the gears with frustration and perplexity, would it?”
‘Mo smiled, his mother sure had a way with metaphoric language. Boy and mom were in the kitchen where Toro was waist-deep in the evening’s dinner. Earlier before we came upon them discussing, ‘Mo had trotted into the kitchen and announced to his mom he had an affair to discuss with her. Toro had asked her son if it couldn't wait until dinner was served. ‘Mo had said no. It had to be before dinner. Especially, before dinner. Before dad came home from the office.

                “Why were you snooping around, ‘Mo? Let’s begin with that. It might be a pointer to why you found your treasure.
‘Mo cleared his throat. “Well, eh, I couldn't find my Xbox console…”
Toro threw a tantrum. “Do you have any idea the pains I went through to get your dad to see reason and get a new one after you lost the one you had before? Do you? Don’t just stand there and stare at me, ‘Mo. I ain't talking to the wall, after all.”
                “No mama.”
                “No, mama what?”
                “No mama, I don’t know the pains you been through to get dad to buy me a new Xbox.” ‘Mo told himself he should have known better and kept his mouth shut about the Xbox. “I found the Xbox, mama.”
But his mama wasn’t listening she’d gotten all preachy as his dad called it.
‘Mo let his mama talk. Once she switched to that lane, no police cruiser could make her ease her foot on the pedal let alone, get her to pull over.

                “So, what were you going to tell me?” Toro said after she was spent.
                “You ain’t gonna believe this unless you see it for yourself, mama.”
                “Try me.” Toro dropped the soupspoon in the sink and put her hands against her waist so the two elbows curved outward forming the html code symbol.
‘Mo’s mouth went dry. This talk wasn’t going to be as easy as he’d planned it to be. He’d planned on confronting his mom with his find, get her okay that his family was going to stick together no matter what and tear up the paper. His dad didn’t even have to know zilch.
                “‘Mo, I hope it’s happening anytime, soon.” Toro waved her hand in front of her son’s face.
                “I’m sorry, mama. I found the door to a room I’ve never seen before today. It was the weirdest thing ever. I was so caught up trying to retrieve my Xbox that I never gave it second thought. I found the knob and pushed the door. My first thought as I crossed the threshold was the air in here is different. And it really felt that way.
                “I threw a switch and my breath caught in my throat. It was like dad bought all my childhood fantasies plus more and stowed them away in that little room. I saw Aladdin’s carpet, mama and so much more.”
                “Tell me the truth, ‘Mo; have you been messing around in the garage? You know how your dad feels about going through his tool box?”
                “Mama, haven’t you been listening to anything I said? I found a room in the house. I didn’t go down to the garage. There’s a room between my bedroom and the bathroom. I didn’t even sniff the garage.”
Toro’s mouth formed an ‘O.’ “A room beside the bathroom? The kid’s bathroom?”
                “Exactly what I’ve been trying to tell you and I kept wondering how come I never noticed. The wall papers have been coming off the walls, lately and papa keeps saying he’s gonna fix it but never does.”
                Toro let out a chuckle. “I wish your papa was present to hear that.”

‘Mo started fumbling in his pockets. His mama heard paper crackle and looked on.
                “Among the million and one jaw-dropping wonders, I picked this up.” ‘Mo held up a fold of letter paper and thrust it to his mama.
                “What’s that in your hand, ‘Mo?” She nipped the letter out of his hands. “Let’s have a look.”
After reading the letter, Mother and son took a trip into the room that wasn’t a room. There they found mysteries hidden before the beginning of the world. And there was a plus for Toro who was already going berserk after reading the letter.
They found evidence there was more than a solitary correspondence. A man who called himself Thursday Essien whom Toro had never met authored them all.
In one of such letters however, they found a detailed story of what became of Toro’s husband and ‘Mo’s papa—he died in a plane crash on a business trip halfway across the world.

                “Can it be reversed?” Toro surprised herself by putting such a weighty question to her 15-year-old son. She couldn’t be asking him to help her avert her husband’s death. “Since we’re in this together, we ought to work as a team.”
                “I don’t know what to believe, mama. Whoever sent those letters was sending us a lead. Maybe, he wanted us to be prepared ahead of time.”
                “Prepared for what? To lose my husband and your father two weeks from today? You can never be prepared for such evil.”
Mother and son decided they should let papa in on it after he came home. Probably, after dinner while they were all gathered around the TV.
A peculiar thing happened that turned the tide. As soon as his father’s car pulled into the garage, the door in the wall that lead into the room disappeared. It was like nothing had ever been there.
                “I guess that option is out,” ‘Mo said. “Papa would never believe such hocus pocus without seeing that room for himself.”

Two weeks later, ‘Mo and his mama were discussing modalities. Just a day left before the fated plane crash and they were yet to tell Hogan about the letters.
                “Your papa doesn’t respect anything he can’t discern with his five senses. My mama always said it would run him to ruin.”
                “What’s the plan, mama. The flight’s tomorrow, I overheard him speaking on the phone with a colleague of his.”
                “We sedate him with an overdose of narcoleptics and by the time he wakes up, his flight is long gone.”
Hogan got out of bed late in the morning, the next day. It was the first time in his entire life he had ever woken up late. He had a nasty headache. He checked the time on the side table.
                “Oh shit!” He looked over at his wife still tucked under her side of the covers. He gave her a hard shake but was not rough. “Toro, I’m late for my flight. I’m supposed to be on my way to an important meeting.”
                “Ugh?” Toro feigned dopiness but she’d been awake a full hour. Outside, the heavy downpour that endured through the night had piped down to a pitter-patter. A dense fog marked the day.
Hogan rushed into the bathroom. “I gatto be in that meeting, no matter what.”
He rushed out of the house and drove off to the airport.

‘Mo and his mama Toro were congratulating each other over breakfast for their win when Toro’s cell rang. It was Hogan, her husband calling from the airport.
                “Honey, thank God for bad weathers. My flight was delayed. That means, I’m boarding the same flight I booked for and it’s gonna be like I never woke up late. Bye.”
The phone died before Toro could say a word.


Eneh Akpan
June 15, 2013


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment