Friday, June 14, 2013

DAY 14: Virus

Courtesy: themoraltimes.com

Today’s Prompt:
Christina Cruz and Scott Peters meet after a failed experiment. One of them is seeking revenge. Write their story based on this quick plot: “Patient turns murderous after a near-death experience.”

Word Count: 1,113

Christi negotiated a curve and spotted a sedan parked on the curb. She zoomed in on the license plate; the owner of the sedan, she was sure, didn’t run out of gas far from that, he didn’t just happen to be visiting with a neighborhood friend.
He was there for her.
                “You chose a fine night to pick a fight, Scott,” Christi said as she pulled in behind the sedan and turned off the ignition. She got out of her car and walked over to the other vehicle. She didn’t have a clear view of the driver’s side so she wasn’t sure anybody was inside.
                “It never crossed my mind, believe me. But now that you mentioned it, it won’t hurt to talk, would it? A figure rose into view from the opposite front-end side of the parked Toyota Cressida. He held a towel and he was wiping grime off his hands with it.
                “Oops! Sorry, thought you were… eh… you know.” She shrugged.
                “Waiting for you?” Scott Peters finished her sentence for her. “Is it a crime to fix flat tires around here? Think maybe, I’m here to terrorize your neighborhood?”
A strong gust of wind blew through the empty street, scattering dead leaves in its wake.
                “A storm is coming,” Scott said, watching the leaves rushing down the road like a procession of mad men. “I thought we were all in this together? I thought you had my back?”
                “I did and I still do.”

Christi and Scott were both scientists at the National Research Laboratories. Scott was this close to losing his job as Top Scientist as a fall out of a report documented by Christi who was also one of the scientists-on-duty when an experiment fell through.
                “Why do I get the impression you are out to ruin my career? We been in this shithole of a laboratory through thick and thin twenty some odd years. Why now and why this?”
                “And why here?” Christi said.
                “Because you pushed me to the edge of my patience. You and your nagging conscience. You knew you’ve been bad and you wore the guilt on you like a blasted badge. It’s the single reason you got all offish the second you set your sights on my damn car.”
                “Nobody is out to get you, mister. I am the scribe of the team and that’s means I document the processes involved in every research—every single thing that goes down—whatever happens, it’s my responsibility to prepare the reports.”
                “And so you documented the end of Scott Peters’ career. Who pushed you to it, Christi? Tell me Cruz, how do you sleep at night?”
The question fazed Cruz only for the length of a second. “My sleep is peaceful and void of nightmares, thank you. Look Scott…”
                “Dr. Scott to you. Since the verdict has not been served, I will not be stripped of my title on the curbs, Dr. Cruz.”
                “Very well then, Dr. Scott. I got a home to get to and a much-deserved rest. If you’re done, I’m going to go back inside my car and drive on home.”
                “Oh, you’re free. I ain’t holding you. Just stop thinking every one parked on the curb is out to get a piece of you. There’s something called a flat tire, you know?”

Several months later, the two scientists bump into each other at a mall out of town. Dr. Scott had been relieved of his duties and guess who filled his spot?
                “Guess it makes you more excited than a hog in mud that you finally got my job.”
                “Don’t be cruel, Dr Scott. You had it coming.”
                “Hey, I like the change in attitude, Dr. Cruz. Whatever happened to I’m doing my job? It’s my responsibility?”
Christina made to walk on by past Scott. Scott reached out and grabbed her. “Let go of me,” she said through clenched teeth.
                “I found the report, bitch. The genuine report.” He hissed the words in her ear. “You took me down now I’m taking you down and it’s all the way.”
Christi wasn’t in a hurry to get out anymore. “What report? I have no idea what you’re babbling about.”
                “The new assistant you were dicking around with? You know, the one who ditched your butt without saying goodbye? He was my toy? He laid hands on the original report and faxed it to me. I got you impaled on your own spear, bitch.”
Christi bristled with murderous rage. “Just out of curiosity, since I don’t believe one itsy bitsy thing you been trying to push off on me. What do you think you know?”
                “For the record, I know you planted the flesh-eating bacteria in the poor fellow’s meal. And you stood by and watched it consume her flesh; observed him torn piece by piece, documenting a daily account. I know how you tried and managed to shut him away from the world, from medical check up so he wouldn’t be diagnosed on time.
                “I used to think highly of you considering how you always took the time to clean up the mess after you. But maybe, I rated you a little too high, sick backstabbing bitch. I expect you to send in your resignation first thing Monday morning and this shit can go down low-key.”
                “You expect no such thing.” But her voice was rid of conviction.

According to details Scott collected from former colleagues, Christi had sent in her resignation on Monday morning. Her house had been cleared out and her office, too (somebody suggested she came in on Sunday evening to clean up the office). She’d said in the letter that she was calling it quits because she intentionally withheld crucial information concerning the research and it was her fault that her former boss (Dr. Scott Peters) got the boot.

Cruz could not be contacted for further information. Her phone was switched off and nobody knew her present location. Her former employer put out a notice for anybody with information about her whereabouts to come forward.
Three days later, her body mutilated almost beyond recognition by flesh-eating bacteria, washed up on the banks of a river on the outskirts of the state with a note pinned to her shirt. Her patient had found her first.

When Scott bought a daily on Monday morning, the headline said it all. He had not sent in his findings to the management of National Research Laboratories but he had emailed a PDF version to somebody who needed it much more than he wanted to save his own face. Somebody who had been mutilated for undeserved promotion.

Patient turns murderous after a near-death experience.


Eneh Akpan
June 14, 2013


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment