Wednesday, June 12, 2013

DAY 12: DOA

Courtesy: jschumacher.typepad.com

Today’s Prompt:
What if you’re going to write a story about self-expression with a cab driver as the main character and a fire escape as the key object? Set your story in a funeral home.

Word Count: 1,855

                “All I can say is the dude deserved better than fate shelled out.”
The room was well lit as it should be; the air ranked with death, as it should be; and there was a sense of reserved exhilaration as might perhaps be the case sometimes, if only we were granted sneak peeks into people’s inner thoughts in a funeral home.
                “You were the cabbie who dropped him off, right? Run your story by me, again,” said the man dressed in a flannel shirt and denim pants whose name was Kufre (/coo fray/).
Eset (/hey set/) grunted. “Dropped him off and was going to pick him up again. That was before the tragic incident. The guy’s name like I said…”
                “Forget his name, cabbie.” Kufre waved Eset off. “Tell the damn story.”
                “That’s bound to be a tad difficult feat without me saying the name of the deceased. Don’t you agree?”
Kufre said nothing. He sat in his spot on the pew and stared the cabbie in the face like a love-lorn man staring through a windowpane into the distance.
Eset the cabbie grunted and pushed on. “Pius. That was the name. Pius is such a nice name for a promising customer. It was the first time I’ve had him ride in my cab. Believe me when I say that had nothing to do with his ill-timed exit from this side of life.”
                “Point taken, get on with the damned story, will you?”
Eset blew hot and cold. “Remind me a second time; why do I gotta tell you this story?”
                “Because I am the Private Investigator hired by the insurance company underwriting the property your customer razed to the ground and you are a potential witness.” When Kufre mentioned the word “potential,” he raised two fingers on each hand to signify the quote (“”) signs.
                “I guess that settles it then. But I’ll have you remember I said it was the very first time Pius rode in my cab.”
                “Yeah, yeah. Every cabbie says that when something unpleasant happens. It’s a rule of thumb
                “I am not every cabbie I’ll have you know that. This discussion will proceed on a threshold of trust and mutual respect. Do we understand each other?”
                “Hey! I’m not trying to propose to you why the hell do I need to “trust” or “understand” you? I’m investigating a case…”
                “Then try cracking your shitty case without my testimony, Mr. Private Investigator.” Eset shot out of his seat and was definitely going to walk out on Kufre            if the other man had not responded swiftly.
                “I’m sorry,” Kufre said, rising with Eset. “Please take your seat. I crossed a line I apologize. This is getting us nowhere, at all.” He placed a hand on Eset’s shoulder. “Let’s start over, shall we? Come on sit with me and I’ll buy you lunch as soon as we can get out of this hell hole.”
                “If you mind, I’m not convenient discussing food in this kind of place.
Kufre laughed. Eset laughed. Tension melted away like sand castles in a storm.

                “Okay. We’re good. You picked Pius up at the front of the mall? Good. Did he look anything suicidal or depressed; anything that suggests he wasn’t in complete control of his faculty?
                “Nada to all your questions. As far as I could see and I see a lot of normal people every day, Pius was one of the most positive folks I ever gave a ride through these mean streets. The atmosphere in my cab lit up when Pius stepped inside. I thought it would never end.”
                “Did he say anything to you during the trip to his apartment?”
                “We talked.” Then as afterthought, “A little.”
                “About what?”
                “Life. You know, a little chit-chat between cabbie and passenger.”
                “Oh.”
                “Not the kind of talk you expected?”
                “Anything he might have said hints at his state of mind moments before his mortality would be one step in the right direction.”

Silence prevailed for all of five seconds. The investigator smashed it with the force of a brick against a soap bubble.
                “Can you give me details of your discussion with the deceased?”
                “Pius was overly enthusiastic when he hopped in for a ride at the front of the mall like a man who had just popped the question to the prettiest of maids and got a yes! I indulge in a little talk with my passengers every once in a while if I can help it. Unless of course, the fellow is a grumpy, self-righteous and overbearing bitch. But Pius’ spirit tempted me to strike a conversation with him.
                “He was almost ecstatic. There was this strange sort of illumination issuing forth off his face that seemed to light up his person. You could very well have spotted him in pitch darkness with a face like that one.” Eset paused and fumbled in his pocket. “Smoke?” He lifted a pack of Marlboro Light into Kufre’s vision.
Kufre waved it away. “Naw, I’m filled up puffing on this dead air.”
                “This,” Eset said, shaking out a stick of cigarette. “Will neutralize any dead air.”  He put the lighter to the tip of his cigarette, stopped briefly when he saw the No Smoking sign, shrugged it off and torched the stick anyway. “Who the shuck cares? I’ll just say I ain’t seen shit. He saw Kufre raise an inquisitive eyebrow and nodded in the direction of the sign which was printed on the wall behind Kufre.
Kufre turned, looked and shrugged.
                “My thoughts exactly. I’ll pick a smoke any day over competing oxygen with these deadbeats. Not that I do not respect the dead but these are peculiar circumstances, you see. Besides, truth needs be told.”
Kufre rapped his fingers against the back of a pew and cleared his throat. It was time for Eset to get on with the damned story.
                “Sorry, the story and speaking of truth, I remember the fella telling me a story.”
Kufre leaped to the edge of the pew but kept his yap shut.
                “Naw, ‘twas prob’bly nothing. But I admit this total fall out will never have been if Pius ain’t received that phone call.”
                “What phone call?”
                “We were at his place and he was on his way up when his phone went gaga. Not his cell phone, the landline up at his apartment. We could hear it all the way from the first floor. Pius’ face drew blank. It was like he’d been wearing a mask and the ringing grew hands and whipped it off. He didn’t like the caller prob’bly guessed who it was. I detected another emotion when he turned and I had a good shot at his eyes. Fear. No, it was more like suppressed terror. No bones about it, Kufre knew who was on the phone and it drained the blood out of his face.” He paused and gave his Marlboro a long drag.
                “Intuition raised the sirens of my heart when he paid me and told me I could leave. On the trip to his house, he’d literally begged for me to hang around and pick him off to some unspecified location. For a man to change his mind all of a sudden cause of a phone call you haven’t even received?”
                “I think I’ll need that cigarette now.”
Eset gave Kufre a stick of cigarette, lighted it and went back to telling his story.
                “I put the cab in gear and was going to turn it around and hit the road when I heard hair-splitting scream. It was the young man I just dropped off, alright. I felt my heart in my mouth and swallowed quickly. Hearing that unearthly yowl from the young fella I just dropped off, somebody who was before that time perhaps, the happiest chap on the face of Mother Earth wrung the courage from my heart. It was the stuff of nightmares. I stopped the cab, tensed up and listened for that foul sound to rip the air again.
                “The second time the yodeling took off it didn’t sound like there was just one guy up there anymore but a thousand, an entire community of brainsick banshees. I flew out the cab like a bat from hell and was about to run up and check up on Pius. I thought maybe, he’d cut himself on the kitchen knife while answering the phone but I knew better. That scream was out of the ordinary.
                “I came out of my cab and saw the fire escape. Pius had gone up that way to his apartment. The fire escape didn’t look right. There was no time to figure out what was wrong with it. I took the stairs two at a time. When I came to the landing, I threw my weight against the door Hollywood style. Drastic situations demand drastic tactics. Besides my shoulder bone, nothing gave. I kicked against the door and yelled his name but his screams were way loud for him to hear anything else. Dense smoke sipped out from under the door, a man would choke in there within minutes. I turned around and rushed outside, I ran for the fire escape.
                “My muscles locked when I caught sight of the fire escape. It was red hot as if it had just been run through a blacksmith’s forge and it was animated as if it was operated by remote. Things began exploding inside Pius’ apartment. I’ll tell you one funny thing, while Pius came and stood by the fire escape, the animation endured—it won’t quit moving—at some point Pius went back inside the house to get something, the bastard quit. Then Pius came back outside…”
Eset fell silent like radio that ran out of battery power and died.
                “When did you call 911?”
                “I didn’t. Pius did before he braved the fire escape. On his cell phone. Then, he ignored the heat wave coming off that hunk of junk and jumped on it so he could slide down. No such luck. Pius thawed like a lump of butter on the pavement on a hot afternoon immediately his body made contact with the fire escape. There was no going back when he leaped on it and he dripped down on the concrete slabs that covered the grounds of the apartment building in clumps. By the time his entire mass came off the fire escape, he was DOA.”

Kufre was sucking on his cigarette and looking down the aisle as if he was expecting someone.
                “Look, I’ve told you all I know. I’ll be leaving. They don’t pay me at the cab company for talking, you know?”
Kufre said nothing. Just kept staring down the aisle.
                “Okay. Nice meeting you, PI.” Eset was turning the knob on the funeral home door when he heard Kufre speak.
                “I was wondering if you could tell me what DOA means.”
Eset looked over his shoulder, he’d already opened the door and the sun was in his hair. Before he stepped outside, he answered Kufre’s question in three words and it was all that mattered:
“Dead On Arrival.”


Eneh Akpan
June 12, 2013


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment