Tuesday, June 11, 2013

DAY 11: Mr. Massacre

Courtesy: donsevers.com

Today’s Prompt:
Two men stop you on your way into your local post office. One flashes a badge at you. They tell you about a top secret sting operation they are about to execute and they need your help. They can’t give you any of the details, only that you are to walk into the post office, go up to the counter with the gentleman named Bert working it, and you have to say to him, “My stamps are looking a bit square these days, if you know what I mean.” Write what happens next.

Word Count: 2,107

Kama came to; his head buzzing like a turbojet engine in full swing. He reached for the back of his head where it throbbed feverishly, and touched his finger to it. The pain was the world. It projected black and white images to his vision and the nasty headache took it personal. He tried for his eyelids and it was a battle prying them open. His right eye was almost completely shut. It was a tad too puffed-up; it was sort of a tough job keeping it open, so Kama let it slide shut. His remaining eye could not take in much of his surround; a cloak of darkness had concealed it in plain sight.
                The floor where his bare feet rested was musty and impossibly cold. Somebody with a queer sense of humor had Kama strapped to a steel chair in a frigid zone. It tuned up the cold a notch and he shuddered recurrently. Grume and goo plugged his nostrils; he traded exhales for gasps. He cleared his gut and coughed up blood, instead. Kama closed his functioning eye and tried to focus, listening in for memory’s footfalls. Trying for how he managed to get himself in this fix. He negotiated a blank.

He remembered the chap that stood, breathing down on him the moment before… he passed out? Had he done this to him? The chap couldn’t have been more than nineteen, going by his looks, anyway. He was like young 50 cent and he had a lean, mean voice. Another strip of memory flashed across his mind; Kama remembered the questions, the first words Babyface spat in his face. It was a question and as vague as trying to translate the gurgling of brooks into human words.
                “Where’s the stamp?” Babyface asked.
Kama remembered his response. “What? What stamps?” Babyface compensated him for throwing that question with a whack over the head.
                “In case you haven’t noticed, I ask all the questions, mister.” The tall, huge man-kid Kama called Babyface said. “It’s your duty to respond. Now, hand me the darn stamps.”
At that point, Kama was getting on the fringe of hysteria. “I don’t have the slightest idea what you’re talking about. Could somebody please, tell me what is…” The question expired on his lips when the idea of any whack over the head crossed his mind.
The tall man-kid seemed to notice and a smirk spread across his face. “You’re wasting time, champ. The only virtue in the world I do not have is patience. Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock.” He synchronized his forefinger with an imaginary pendulum.
‘You lack a lot more than you know.’ Kama thought but didn’t say aloud.
                “I got to get my hands on those stamps ASAP. I know you have them, so don’t play games with me cause I don’t play fair. You got just two options. One, you can either give me what I want and two, or you can tell me where I can find ‘em. Cause I know they ain’t on you. I frisked your ass a hundred times already.”
                “That is no option,” Kama sneered. “What if I don’t have them?”
                “Suit yourself. I’m gonna ask you one more time and if you don’t wanna cooperate me and you are gonna take a walk down the corridors of terror. The type that’s gonna make you cry for hell.” Babyface leaned over Kama their noses almost touched. “Where are the stamps,” he hissed.

Babyface looked dead serious, like he would go through with his threats of doom and gloom and he would too. And so was the crowd with him. They had indeed come to collect and Kama was the only thing between them and their prize. The problem was Kama didn’t have the stamps. Whatever the stamps were Kama had a strong impression these were not your regular post office stamps that these dudes, who had apparently kidnapped him, were trying to pull out of him with a chain fall.
                “The way I see it, you guys already turned out my pockets and forgot to return my pants, if I may add.” Besides the boxers on him and his armless T-shirt, Kama was naked. “So, you probably know I don’t have it on me. I would suggest you start searching someplace else. People, I’m completely ignorant of the situation.”
He could as well have been talking to the stone pyramids of Egypt. The men who were by guesstimate, four in number neither moved nor flinched. They were like robots programmed to do one thing: retrieve information. Anything shy of their responsibilities didn’t really count. Kama conjured and contrived, did the best he could to call up an image, any object in his mind that could come off as a stamp. Exasperated, he opened his mouth to speak and one of his captors cut him off.
                “Better get on with it, the boss would be here, before long.”
                “You mean there are others? How many people exactly indulge in this obsession with stamps that perhaps, don’t even exist? Somebody let me out of here.”
The man-kid leaned forward and glowered over Kama. Kama flinched, shut his eyes and waited for the blow that would probably hurt like a bastard. There was no blow not even a rap over the head. Kama raised his eyelid a crack and saw Babyface leaning over him.
                “I want you to look at me and listen up. I’m going to tell you something worth more to me than your very life and I ain’t one to repeat myself. So listen good and try not to fuck this up.”

                “Yesterday, at exactly 0800 hours, you walked into a post office but not before talking to two security operatives.” The man-kid saw Kama’s eyes light up with comprehension and rammed his words into the opening. “You were given a simple mission, and you downright flunked it. What we want to know is, who did you talk to after you left Bert’s counter; who followed you and what did they want; and did you give them any piece of information that could lead them back to us?”
Relief washed over Kama like a heavy downpour. He leaned back on the chair as far back as his chains would allow him and brayed laughter. The room’s walls caught it on the rebound. The men exchanged glances but nobody touched Kama or instructed him to quit.
                “That’s all the information you wanted and you had to go through all this drama?” Kama stopped chortling and composed himself. “It was the first time ever I set eyes on the bunch of weirdoes. At the post office, when they beckoned to me, I obliged because I thought maybe, they wanted directions.” He shrugged. “They looked lost and totally out of place. The one on the driver’s side flashed a badge, freaking secret service. I asked him, ‘Am I in some kind of trouble, officer?’ And he said, ‘No, no trouble at all. We’d like for you to do something for us.’ ‘Like what?’ I asked him, a little flustered. I mean, it was the secret service. He registered the fear on my face and waved it away. ‘Don’t worry. All you have to do is deliver a package to a man named Bert, he’s at Counter 5.’ I told them if there were no strings attached it was totally ok.”
                “You were nuts trusting the secret service. I mean, they don’t exactly call what they do ‘Secret’ for nothing, do they? Tell me, what did they say and what did you do with it?”
                “The dude beside the one that was talking to me must have been the boss from the way he acted, he took the stick of cigarette out of his mouth, spat on the gravel and said, ‘We can’t give out any of the details. It’s for your safety.’ I nodded. It’s the secret service. Nobody in his right mind cares about what they do or don’t do. ‘Like my partner said,’ the agent continued. ‘Find the gentleman named Bert at the counter and say to him, don’t try to play 007 and ruin the operation, just say, My stamps are looking a bit square these days, if you know what I mean. And then beat it.’”
Kama finished his story and stared into Babyface’ eyes. “That’s the details of my mission at the post office, it was all I did and when I came out, the car with the secret agents inside was long gone. By the way, I’ve never seen stamps that weren’t square my entire life. I wonder why people pass such dumb information and expect people to buy it.”

Back in the present, Kama’s memory was returning. He had asked the men to set him loose and let him go.
It never happened. They had dealt him the beating of his life and he had indeed cried out for hell.
Now alone in the darkness, he believed they had perhaps, left him for dead.


At the post office, Bert had given him a combination of numbers. Kama didn’t know what they meant. After he left the counter, a man had followed him. He didn’t know that Kama was aware he was being followed. Kama saw him from the corner of his eye and changed his route. The two men entered into the lavatory and the man came up behind Kama and tried to lock his arm around Kama’s neck.
Kama ducked under and connected his left foot with the man’s groin. There was a grunt as the man went down. Kama was all over him the next second.
“The number combinations, what do they mean?” Kama breathed into his ears. The double agent spilled his guts only when Kama grabbed the man’s service-issue semi-automatic and trained it at his forehead. “If you don’t start singing hero, they’re gonna be scraping your brains off these tiles in two minutes.” The man took one look in Kama’s eyes and started rapping.
The numbers were codes for a secret overseas account.

After the stint at the post office, Kama had returned home to pack but not before putting two to the head of the double agent who assaulted him in the bathroom. He’d muffled the noise of the automatic with towels he picked off the hooks. There’d been a knock on his door shortly after he arrived home. Two men guns pointed at his chest when he opened the door. That’s how he came to be in this torture chamber. But these men were yet ignorant of what he knew especially, the number combinations. Whoever was running the show had kept that part of the deal to himself.

The door opened and a man stepped inside. Kama feigned dead. He moved to where Kama was strapped to the metal chair and started pulling off Kama’s chains. He was gulping mouthfuls of air. Tired out from digging my grave, Kama thought. All the better. As the last of his shackles clattered to the floor, Kama reached for the agent’s side arm on his left hip. He came up empty. The agent who thought Kama was unconscious broke his paralysis when he saw him move and reached for his right hip. Damn, he’s a leftie, Kama thought as he lifted the metal chair that had been his prison earlier. It was heavy and ought to get the job done.
                The agent was fast but Kama was faster. He fired at Kama but the bullet went wide. Kama’s vision was adapted to the darkness and he used it. He ducked right and brought the chair down hard on the side of the agent’s head. It whipped him across the face. There was a faint crack as the man’s skull caved in. He fell in a heap to the floor.
Kama grabbed his gun and trained it at the body crumpled on the floor but it was the last anybody would ever hear from the agent. Ciao, world, I’m gone to that great unemployment office in the sky.

He fetched his clothes on a table at a corner of the torture room, strapped it on and walked away into the sun. The agency would get whiff of him eventually. The story of how former top secret agent, Kama Jackson, code name: Mr. Massacre had his face altered through plastic surgery and ripped off the secret service.
He’d salted away close to a billion bucks in hard currency.
But before they figured what to do about him, he’d be halfway across the universe enjoying the sun on some tropical beach while some brown sugar warmed his bed.


Eneh Akpan
June 11, 2013


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment