Sunday, June 30, 2013

DAY 30: The World by the Tail

Courtesy: flickr.com

Today’s Prompt:
You are walking to your car when you pass a boy selling newspapers on the street. He doesn’t look like he’s getting any customers, so you buy a copy, only to discover that it’s dated a week from today. And one particular story makes you realize you need to take action—now.

Word Count: 1,026

                “You in the mood for a peculiar spin?”
                “As long as you keep the beer coming I’m down for any kind of story.”
Sam and Utuk (/who took/) sat by the counter of the Drunkard’s Boulevard, a pub at the end of the street and just around the corner.
                “I just got out the public library you know the one standing by that mini stadium where we used to go watch our high school team battle other teams in soccer competition. I was walking to my car when I spotted this kid selling newspapers. The way he stood there with his papers struck me as funny. That was before I observed nobody was buying. I noticed folks actually, walk up to the kid, grab a paper, glance through, and then… scuttle away. It was like all of a sudden they remembered an important meeting they had to attend and they were running late. It pricked my curiosity.”
                “Uh, uh.” Utuk wasn’t looking or listening to Sam anymore. He’d given his attention to something at the door. “Yo, Sam, check out the sister who just walked in.”
Sam followed Utuk’s gaze and felt disgust fill his mind. “Ain’t that the girl who almost got your ass busted last time we were here?”
                “So what? It’s just a harmless stare. Ain’t nothing to it.”
                “Whatever. Let’s get back to my story that’s the only harmless thing around here.”
                “Ain’t it the same story where you had a flat and had to park your car some place and hike it home?”
                “Nope. This one’s different.”

Sam and Utuk had been friends since their high school days. They stuck together after they left school. They were the low profile kind of guys. They knew most of the people here nevertheless, they were prone to go out through the backdoor than make a show of themselves. Sam wrote fiction focusing on the Sci-Fi genre and Utuk was a journalist.

                “You don’t say,” said Utuk. “Is it important?”
                “Of course, it’s fairly important.”
Sam gave a so-so gesture with his head and puckered his lips for good measure. And they both chuckled. The bartender came up and filled their glasses.
                “You know, Joe, someday you’ll get us bombed,” Utuk said to the bartender. “We’ll end up spending the night up on your counter.”
                “That’ll be a fatal pleasure,” the bartender said and walked away.
                “I’m surprised I never mentioned the story to you before today,” Sam said. “That kid’s papers, like I mentioned earlier, seemed to put off customers than attract them. Folks took one look at his papers and zapped!” Sam punctuated his statement with a snap of his fingers.
                “Maybe, it was full of reports of the apocalypse,” Utuk piped in.
                “Yeah, there were lots of such stories in the paper.”
                “What the…?” Utuk uttered in absolute awe.
                “Naw, just joking.” Sam waved it away.
                “Let’s drink to that. It’s not every day one hears you make a joke.” Utuk sipped on his beer.
Sam ignored him. “I walked up to the kid and took one of the papers out of his hand. ‘What do you have there?’ I asked him. ‘Today’s papers, sir.’ ‘Today’s paper,’ I said. ‘Ain’t it a little late in the day for that or is it the Evening News?’ The kid appeared uncomfortable with that question. I took one look at the headlines and I knew why all those folks had to zippety-zippety zap after they took one glance at the papers.”
                “Why did they do it? Was it old newspaper? Was it dirty? Why?”
                “The paper was dated a week from that day.”
Utuk cracked up. His bellow thunderous and wild heads turned in the pub. He almost got his neck broken when he took a fall off the stool.
                “Oh jumping macros,” Utuk said after he got over his laughter.
                “That’s macaroni,” Sam corrected.
                “Yeah, macros for short,” Utuk said.
                “Since when?”
                “Just now. Since it was all next week’s news, why the hell would anybody wanna read that stuff?”
                “The stock market?” Sam suggested.
                “Well, you ain’t saying none of the guys who put an egg in their shoes and beat it were investors or had interest in the stock market, are you?”
                “Not exactly, but I did make something of the whole mess?”
                “You? You bought the paper?”
          “Bought it and gained a considerable success with it. I get updates from @writersdigest delivered right to my android. And for the past few days leading to my encounter with that kid whom speaking of, I’ve not set eyes on again since that day, I’ve been receiving tweets about this Writers Digest annual short story writing competition which was going to close a few days from the evening I met the kid. I saw a news article in that newspaper where the Curiosity Rover discovered alien life forms on Mars. So I wrote it as fiction and submitted it as my story.”
                “That’s called cheating.”
                “No, it’s called creativity.
                “Did you win?”
                “I submitted the story to the Sci-Fi category; they thought I was prophetic when the real story came out in the news. Of course, I won”
                “Did you spill your guts about the source of your story?”
                “Why the hell should I? I have the world by the tail cause of that story, it’s the reason I got published in the first place. You don’t expect me to throw a lifetime career out the window.”
                “What about the newspaper. What did you do with it?”
                “For the life of me, I can’t tell where I kept it. It just disappeared.”
                “There might be consequences, have you though about that? Such mysteries don’t just happen.”
                “You know,” Sam said, looking totally serious. “I’ve been thinking about that lately. Maybe, I should call up the editors at WD and let them in the whole way the source of my winning story.”
                “You really believe you should do that?” Utuk’s eyes grew wide.
                “Why not? It’s called coming clean,” said Sam with indifference.
                “No, it’s called stupidity.” Utuk said.
                “Whatever you say, boss,” Sam said and gulped his beer. “Whatever you say,” he repeated.


Eneh Akpan
June 30, 2013


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment