Friday, June 28, 2013

DAY 28: Slitherin'

Courtesy: pitbulllovers24.com

Today’s Prompt:
You’ve been outside digging a large hole for several hours when you realize that you can’t recall why you’re digging it. Retrace your steps to try to discover your motivation.

Word Count: 1,181

The mind is a monkey, but you already knew that. The shower was beginning to pack heat. I was all over that pit, to get it over with and get the hell outta dodge. And right then I discovered all that dirt-digging business had scrambled my brain. I couldn’t recall the hell I was doing in that hole. Ain’t that a big laugh? I put my back to the grind for hours and now that it’s almost ready for ­what-the-hell-I-know-not, my mind flips out. I just couldn’t conjure up an image that fit in that pit.

Here’s what I did, I threw my memory in reverse.

I remembered picking up the axe and going round the house to the backyard but let’s go further than that. I remembered coming home from work and wondering where the hell the pitbull was. That dog has got some voice on him and he’s never shy about showing it off. He’s always out of the house like an acrobat shot from a cannon whenever he hears my car approaching the house, nevertheless when I came home that evening the hound was MIA. I was thrown, to state it mildly. I whistled for the thing but it was like wishing for the moon. I registered my wife did not come out of the house when she heard me call out for the dog, and my internal alarm system went off its rocker. That bull never strayed nine yards of my house. Unlike some of the neighbor’s dogs that went hunting in other people’s trash cans and were worse off than those almost unbearable stray cats.

Impale them all, I would if I had half the chance. I stepped out the car and approached the house. A man’s not gonna turn away from where he hangs his hat just cause his dog’s AWOL and his wife ain’t gon’ come out for an explanation. Besides, it was only a dog if you get my picture. It’s always gonna be a dog when you get right down to it. I stepped away from the vehicle and came towards the house. And first thing I notice, there’s a nasty stain on the coating on the wall. I fumed from both ears. A man can only do so much painting in one calendar year and not break up into a spray of colors.

                “The kids are gonna pay,” I says to myself. “Watch if they don’t pay.”
When I got up close to see the blotches on the wall for it was, it’s a different image entirely that flashed on the walls on my mind. It looked like blood. Hell, it was blood. It spread all over the porch and formed a coating on the stoop. “It’s all my damn imagination,” I says to myself. “It’s DreamWorks shooting films in my brain is all.”

But let’s step back to before that time; flashback to the previous day’s journey home. I bet it’s got a lot to do with all this and that damn pit. Let’s not forget why this story is vital.
I met a guy pitching dog food at the corner of the street. Saw a few familiar faces buying it off him, too. I was tempted I gatto admit and hell, I got out the car and made a go for it. It’s been a while since I actually brought something home for that pitbull; wife’s chores I tells myself whenever it crossed my mind. You see sometimes, life gets in the way and you forget the most beautiful things in the world are the ordinary stuff. Dog food wasn’t cheap, either. But I admit there was something strange about the guy, something that ought to have turned me off if I hadn’t been too involved with guilt of neglecting the dog.

The weird dude gives me the once over and thinks, you can see it pasted right there on his face, daddy dreams of getting son a little puppy for his birthday and wants to start with dog food.
Sure, why not, I thinks. I get the dog food, three cans in all and feed the dog myself after I get ‘em home. The pitbull ate all three cans and gave one long stupid belch.
That was all yesterday. This morning, we woke to find Bully the dog had put on extra pounds during the night. He walked with a bearing and gait like that professional wrestler called Mark Henry.

Standing by the porch, the memory of my dog’s magical weight program earlier that day overwhelmed me and I broke into a run. I didn’t go busting through the door all at once, I’ve watched enough Hollywood movies to know that would be the most stupid thing to do. I stepped over the blood coating on the floor trying not to think what such level of blood loss might mean to the donor, whoever it was.

I peeped through the keyhole and saw what had become of my pitbull, I saw one dark specter, a big brown lump almost slithering over the floor. His paws had almost but disappeared and he had blood all over his jaws. I hated to think whose the blood was and of what was left of my family. I backed off the door, leaped off the stoop as briskly and lightly as I could but it wasn’t enough to fool a pitbull. I heard it slamming its weight into the door trying to get out and it would, too. It was five times the weight and size of any pitbull I’d ever set eye on.

I ran for the car. Popped the glove compartment and heard screams coming from the neighboring houses. They were probably having their own taste of special dog food. I fumbled around in the glove compartment till I clasped an object in my hands. I swung around as first; the door bulged outward like plastic under the weight of the bull and then exploded into a million splinters.

Only one word rang through my mind as the slitherin’ bastard splashed into the boulevard and lurched towards me. It was this word, eyes. The eye is the most vulnerable organ in most creatures. And it was what I aimed for when that thing came for me. I plunged my pen into its left eye and leaped away. It rammed its weight into my and watched in alarm as the impact tossed the vehicle a few feet into the air. It writhed in pain but only for a few seconds and then it charged at me again, blinded in one eye, and fueled by revenge. I ducked into the garage. When the thing that used to be my dog slithered in, I was waiting with a sawed off shotgun. I let it slide up close then aimed the shotgun at the second eye and triggered the weapon.

The result was tremendous. It tore off one half of the thing’s head and scattered fragments of skull around.
That’s why I was digging the hole; I was going to bury the mutant bastard.


Eneh Akpan
June 28, 2013


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment